Pages

Contemporvant Worship

There's a new video getting a lot of attention around the web in evangelical circles. I'm not sure what to think of it. It's very funny. I love parody, especially when it's produced by those who are making fun of themselves (This was produced by North Point, a big church in Atlanta that looks just like this.) I'm 32, so I'm supposed to like this sort of service, and sometimes I do. Most of the time, though, I prefer a more contemplative form of worship that prizes Scripture reading, communion, corporate prayer, and lengthy expository preaching. But I see a place for sevices like this, and I think elements of these services should be incorporated into all church services. So I'm torn. Watch it and decide how it makes you feel.

"Sunday's Coming" Movie Trailer from North Point Media on Vimeo.

btemplates

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I also love the ability of generation to make fun of ourselves. It's spot on for a lot of churches. On the other hand, I'm not sure this kind of "commercial" church movement is what the early leaders had in mind. I've been in these churches, and it goes beyond using the resources available to be relevant to our world. To me, this is conforming to the world by packaging church life as a rock show. Makes it difficult to get people to go deeper than screaming guitar licks and dramatic pastoral pauses.

Kyle Bushre said...

Sam, I'm right with you. There are actually a few different influences that play into the creation of services of this sort. The church growth movement of the 70s and 80s, the seeker-sensitive movement of the Willow Creek era, and the emergent movement of the present all have a hand in creating the sort of service parodied here.

I think it's important to keep in mind that every style within the church had its start in the culture of the day. The pipe organ was called the "Devil's Bagpipe" by many when it first saw use in the church. Now it's considered a traditional instrument.

But I agree with you that if Sunday worship is nothing more than a rock show, a dramatic speech, and an opportunity to buy CDs (like it is stereotyped here), then we have moved beyond humorous observation into dangerous consumerism. That would be true no matter what style.

The difference is the centrality and exaltation of Jesus and the Cross, and whether the congregation is led to remember and glory in these.

Post a Comment