Pages

Meeting a Baseball Hero: One Year Later


For those who remember my brief but tragic saga from a year ago, this year is the year! For those of you who don't, last year I was given the gift of speaking after Tom Brookens, third baseman for the Detroit Tigers in the late 70s and 80s. He is the current first base coach for the Tigers. I grew up rooting for Tom Brookens. When I was six, they won the World Series. Tom was a household favorite, and I was asked to speak after him at the Wild Game feast last year.


And then it hit.


The great storm of 2010. Now, in Michigan this was just your average snowstorm. But here in PA, people lost their brains. Mothers were raiding Walmart for canned goods like the first horseman of the apocalypse had just been spotted. So the event was canceled, and along with it my shot at meeting a baseball hero from my childhood.


But the Lord has remembered his servant Kyle (He probably has way bigger plans than just me, but this is how I like to see it.) The 2011 Wild Game Feast is happening January 29th at King Street Church in the Baker Center. Exhibits are open at 5pm with dinner to begin at 6pm. Tickets are available at the KSC office, and if you come they are asking people to bring a hot and a cold dish to serve 8 people.


So if you're local, come on out and meet Tom Brookens and listen to him tell cool baseball stories. I'm hoping for some insider info on the 1984 World Series win over the Padres. And when he's finished regaling us with cool stuff, you'll get to hear from one really excited little boy.

btemplates

0 comments:

Post a Comment