Pages

6 Days to 26.2 Miles

This is it. Game week. I've been training for 17 weeks, and next Sunday is the day I run the Harrisburg Marathon. I must admit I'm pretty nervous. But over the last 17 weeks I've learned a few things that have kept me going, and I thought I would share them.

1. I Can Do This

My biggest hesitation back in May/June when I was wringing my hands was the thought, "I really don't think I can do this." The longest I had ever ran was 7 miles, and I knew what that felt like. So I put running 26.2 miles on par with learning to fly an airplane or running for president: a nice idea but not really feasible. At one point early in the training I had to stop 2 times during a 3 mile run because I thought I was going to collapse. I thought a marathon was a fairytale that day.

But now an 8 mile run seems short. Two weeks ago I ran 40 miles during the week, 20 of that at one time! I am simply amazed how discipline can prepare us for the unimaginable.

2. I Can Change

Back in April my doctor said something I thought I would never hear: "Kyle, you're slightly overweight." That was a first, and it pretty much ruined that day for me. Over the last 3-4 years or so I put on 25 pounds, taking me out of my ideal range. But I learned I don't have to accept this as "the new me." Like they say, if you burn more calories than you eat, you will lose weight. And sure enough, I've lost 20 pounds in 17 weeks. I'm at my high school weight! For me it took setting a goal other than weight loss. But I've learned that if I can get the right goal, I can change.

3. Exercise Takes Planning

If I have a long day at work and a long run scheduled, guess which one gets compromised. I figured out that if I'm going to actually run (not just say I am) I have to have both a schedule and a plan for accomplishing it. Of course, the fear of entering a marathon I can't finish keeps me pretty motivated. I'm now really careful to find the time I need to exercise.

4. Physical Fitness is Part of Discipleship

This one deserves its own blog post, but I'll summarize it here. God did not make disembodied spirits. The human body is not a result of the Fall, no matter how bad some of them look. He made us out of matter and breathes life into us. That makes our bodies important, and as unpopular as it is to say it in the church, the disregard many followers of Jesus show for their weight is sinful. Caring for our body is as much a stewardship issue as tithing faithfully or serving in the children's ministry. If God gives it to us, we need to care for it.

I knew this before I started running, but I have really learned it through the whole experience. Beyond health issues, staying fit has given me more energy, which means all the other stuff I do in life as worship to the Lord is higher quality, and that certainly affects my growth in Christ.

btemplates

0 comments:

Post a Comment